Friday, May 19, 2006

Kashgar

Today we flew from Urumqi to Kashgar. I feel extremely exhilarated...that sounds dorky, but it is true. This is the first really different place I have been to in quite a while. I definitely don't feel like I am in China! On the streets, you hardly see any ethnic Chinese. Matt describes the men here as looking like "a mix of Russian, Afghan, Chinese and a little bit of old salty Irish sea dog." (All in one person.) The people here do look fascinating, unlike anywhere else I have been. There are a tons of different ethnicities that dress differently, it is really cool. A down side of the more Middle Eastern feeling of this place is that I definitely don't feel comfortable wearing tank tops or shorts or anything remotely revealing. This is a bummer cause it is extremely hot!

Being here sort of reminds me of when I travelled in Rajasthan a long time ago. Ther is that feeling of being very far away. Far way from what, I don't know, but you just know that you are far. Maybe it is because of the harsh, desolate feeling of the desert? I am not sure. Anyway, I love it.

We found a good hotel (the Chini Bagh Hotel) that is air conditioned and close to everything and met a crazy Belgian guy who doesn't speak a word of Chinese but has been traveling for 5 months, with three more to go! He said it is easy to travel here without speaking Chinese but I don't really believe it. We met him as he was leaving for Tibet. He was going to sneak across the border, and had packed giant bars of chocolate and bags of dried fruit for the journey.

We walked around the market and went to the Id Kah Mosque. The mosque was very serene, and much more simple inside than I had thought it would be.

One new, delicious food item I tried today was fresh yogurt mixed with shaved ice, water and sugar. All the locals were sitting around with giant bowls of it, relaxing and chatting, and it looked so fun. Matt and I had to try it. I loved it because I love yogurt, Matt didn't like it all and didn't finish his. I realize now that could be a lethal combination. I guess I will find out if my stomach can handle local water!

1 comment:

Janet said...

How fascinating, but I will have to look on a map to see where Kashgar and Urumqi are as I haven't a clue! Grandma Janet