Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pioneer Day

Matt and I flew to Eureka through Salt Lake City for his sister Ana's wedding. Unfortunately, we missed our connection in Salt Lake City because of bad weather in Boston....so we had to stay in Salt Lake overnight. Now, I realize that this was very unfortunate for Matt because we only had a short time to spend in Eureka with his family, but I will admit it....I was not-so-secretly very happy! I was also sad because it made our time in California very short and we didn't get to do much whle we were there, but I was excited to stay in a nice hotel with Matt and spend the day in Salt Lake. It was the ideal weather for me: hot and dry. If only we had our luggage, it would have been perfect pool-weather! We booked our hotel on Hotwire, which has been so great for us...our hotels in Montreal and Wachington DC were beautiful and cheap. So, we figured a 4 star hotel on Hotwire would be nice...I was hoping for the Grand America, but instead we were stuck with the Little America. I don't recommend it! It was OK....and it was cheap because we got it on Hotwire...but compared to the hotels in Montral and DC, it was subpar. We couldn't get our luggage, so Delta gave us these cute overnight bags. They even had a Delta t-shirt inside! But, my favorite part of the overnight bag was the cute little deodorant tube.



I was SO excited to be in Salt Lake...the weather was perfect for me and I hadn't been to Utah in such a long time. I forced Matt to walk down to Temple Square after breakfast and guess what? It was Pioneer Day. Woo hoo! Parade! Fireworks! Although, we actually didn't get to see either of these things cause we went to the airport to try to fly standby.



After we came back from our unsuccessful attempt to fly standby, we headed to the Gateway Mall to buy some new clothes. Yay! It was super hot and we were wearing cold-weather clothes for Eureka. So, it was a nice excuse to both buy new things. We hit CPK for lunchand then we went to the Rodeo. It was both of our first time at the rodeo, and it was sad to see the poor little calves get man-handled during the tie-down event and to see the bulls being harrassed...but it was an interesting experience. The best part was watching the people in the crowd...they are so far removed from our usual world...it was fascinating.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I never think of rodeos when I think of Salt Lake. How strange.

Reno 911 Life as the Stewart's said...

We were in Salt Lake at the same time. We were only driving through but we stopped at the airport to pick up craig. Maybe we drove past each other. Crazy!