Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ocean State Reggae Festival







Two years ago, Matt and I were going to try to go to Reggae on the River in Humboldt County. Matt put music from all the artists that were going to be at Reggae on the River onto my mp3 player, and ever since then I have been addicted to reggae. It is so funny, because I used to say "reggae is the only type of music I don't like". Now, it is one of my favorite kinds of music. First of all, it is easy to dance to. Second, it is absolutely impossible to be stressed while you are listening to reggae. Third, it often times has a very positive message. So, I love it. Also, now I sort of associate it with our honeymoon in Belize, which was truly blissful....it seems like they played reggae everywhere.

I have heard that Rohit used to really like reggae. Haha, that is so hard to imagine! But, I guess he had a life before the wife and family came along just like my mom had a previous life. I wonder what my kids will say about me?

We never did make it to Reggae on the River, so when we heard about the Ocean State Reggae Festival, both Matt and I were really excited! We drove all the way down to the opposite side of Rhode Island for the festival, and I admit it...I was getting really crabby spending so much time in the car! But, it was worth it. We had SUCH a good time...we were dancing the whole time and people watching. There were lots of little kids there, and it was so cute to watch them dancing. I hope Matt and I do that with our kids...take them to music festivals and let them roam around...but it is probably wishful thinking. I might be too paranoid to let my kids roam a place like that, but maybe Matt will help balance me out.

During a break in the music, we bought a frisbee and Matt taught me how to throw it. I have been avoiding his attempts to get me to play frisbee for years...I am just really bad at throwing it...it goes in every direction except the one I want it to! One thing about Matt is that he is a really patient and nice teacher. He says very encouraging things like "That was great!" or "You are learning so fast!". He sort of reminds me of my Grandpa Hardy in that way. He also has been helping me practice tennis (before he broke his collar bone), and he is really nice about it even though he has to run all over the court to get the balls I hit. But, the minute I got to a certain level of skill, he let loose and started slamming the balls back to me. Scary! So, I guess I better stay a beginner at all sports because he is much nicer to me. And, of course, when he was teaching me frisbee I couldn't help but think what a great Dad he is going to be and how our daughters are going to be Daddy's girls. Sigh. Haha, hope Matt doesn't read this, he hates talking about kids! But, for the record, HE is the one that took the photo of the little boy with the hat that is posted above. :)

On another note, Matt and I found a great artist...Pato Banton. He put on a great show and his songs were very upbeat...everyone was dancing. I would love to see him again. This festival was so much fun, now I know I want to go to Reggae on the River even though it is expensive.

1 comment:

Janet said...

I still haven't figured out what reggae music is, guess I will check it out on the radio station on ITunes.
Glad you are having fun...