Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Great Wall

Today my class took a field trip to the Great Wall. The Great Wall wasn't exactly what I thought it would be...it was smaller than I thought, and it loked very new. I think they must have refurbished it or something. We hiked up to the wall, walked for a little bit, and had a picnic. Yeah, it was a wall. Not much more to say I guess. A long wall.

On the drive to the Great Wall, which was about two hours long, most people were sleeping sinc we left early in the morning. I had a lot of time to think, and I was very home sick! The only problem is that I am not sure exactly where I am homesick for! San Diego? Hong Kong? Any place not China? All I know is, suddenly I was sick of seeing characters every where, sick of people speaking to me in Chinese, and most of all sick of Chinese food. At that point, I vowed never to eat Chinese food again. Of course, this was silly, I will eat Chinese food again. I love it. But I think I need to vary my diet more while I am here...I have never eaten exclusively one nationality of food for over a month before. I have my limits! Also, I have been sick witha sore throat and general cold and congestion since the weekend, so I think maybe I am associating that with the Chinese dinner I ate the night before? Or maybe I was just tired and car sick from our crazy bus driver? I am not sure...anyway, I miss Matt already even though he was just here this weekend, I miss sunny California, I miss food that doesn't have a gallon of oil in it (a salad or a bagel would be sooo nice right now), I miss old friends and family, I miss fresh air! I miss English. I miss people standing in line rather than surging forward in a huge mass and yelling in Chinese. I think I am just tired and sick, and so am feeling slightly negative. I actually love Beijing and am excited that I am able to communicate with people more and more easily. But I guess everyone misses comfort sometimes! Hopefully Matt will come here soon or I will be able to go to Hong Kong.


The Great Wall Posted by Picasa


Mutianyu Section of the Great Wall Posted by Picasa


My Classmates and I on the Great Wall Posted by Picasa

No comments: