Monday, October 25, 2004

Ko Samet

After some debate, we decided to go to Ko Samet in Thailand for more beach time. Ko Samet is very convenient because it is only a three and a half hour bus ride from Bangkok, as opposed to Phuket, which you pretty much have to fly to. Lo Samet is gorgeous! The water is crystal clear and the sand is white and soft. It is the nicest beach we have been to yet! It is a small island, and the restuarants are all right on the sand. Some just have pillows that you sit on while you eat and other's have tables. The water is warm and lovely. There are alot of tourists here right now because we came on a Thai holiday. Many of the tourists are Thai, ans also alot of expats that are living in Bangkok.

I love Thailand so much. The people are very relaxed and friendly and the food is so wonderful. The only problem is the number of old, wrinkly, white men that are here in the company of VERY young, beautiful Thai girls. Sometimes it just makes me sick. Also, there are alot of old white men accompanied by young, beautiful Thai boys. Lara and I were sitting on the beach, getting some sun when a older white man walked by holding the hand of an 8 year old Thai boy. I didn't think anything of it, but Lara said, "I hope that is his son!" That comment brought to my mind a whole host of thoughts that I did not want to contemplate! Actually, I am sure it was the son of the guys Thai wife or "girlfriend" or whatever. Speaking of child prostitution, I read in my Lonely Planet guide that while Thailand has the greatest number of child prostitutes in the world, the US has the third largest number! (India has the second largest number.) Of course, Thailand is a much smaller country to be having so many child prostitutes, but the US is a rich country and it is sad to think that we have that problem.



Beautiful Ko Samet Posted by Hello

No comments: