Sunday, October 03, 2004

The Great Gatsby Also Rises

Yesterday Matt and I went on the junk boat trip with our new friend Michele. (The one we met at the bar Jewel, when Matt threw a pillow at her.) We thought it was just "bar talk" when she invited us, but she came through and called us 2 hours before the junk was about to leave. One of her friends works for E-Trade, and he had use of the company junk for the day. (Yes, the boat was painted purple and green.) We had a wonderful time, and everybody was extremely nice. I finally met some other Americans in Hong Kong! (I was beginning to believe that they didn't exist.) We played Quarters with Pabst, had a scrummy lunch and Matt went wakeboarding. (At least he tried to wakeboard, it got dark very quickly and he just barely managed to avoid the junk!) I was a great day, although ironically it was the coldest day I have experienced in Hong Kong so far, but luckily the water was still very warm. I sort of felt like I was in the midst of a combination Hemingway/Fitzgerald novel: surrounded by a bunch of young, privelaged expats with gleaming white teeth discussing ski trips in Japan and the upcoming Yacht Club Ball in November.

No comments: