Wednesday, October 06, 2004

A Day at the Markets

Today Lara, Missy and Nic and I went to the lady's market, the flower market, and the bird market. It was their first day out and about in Hong Kong, and I think it went pretty well. First, we went out to lunch with Michele to a restaurant in Soho called "Life." It was hippie-esque, and had lots of organic and vegan options. It reminded me of California and I was surprised because I didn't think anything like that existed in Hong Kong. After that we fitted the visitor's up with Octopus cards and headed over to Kowloon-side. I bought two shirts and they actually fit so I am very happy! I braved the "bird gauntlet" at the bird market once again and emerged unscathed. I am really freaked out by birds, after one too many skirmishes with pigeons and seagulls in my youth, so I sort of think of it as a personal test everytime I walk through the bird market. (I am sure most people have heard about my seagull/ice cream cone incident.) Yes, most of the birds are in cages, but for some reason tons of little starlings and other birds like to hang out there and swoop around and sit on the outside of the bird cages. I am not sure if they are taunting the captive birds, keeping them company, or just waiting to scavenge for food. While I am freaked out by birds in general, I have this strange fascination with the bird market. The bird cages are really neat looking, there are tons of old Chinese men hanging arund cooing at their birds, and there are alot of insects for sale. The Chinese men are quite sweet on little birds it seems like, and you will see them in the parks, taking their bird in it's cage on a walk. The insects that are being sold (as bird food, I am assuming?) are interesting to look at up close.


Lara at the Bird Market Posted by Hello

No comments: