Saturday, April 29, 2006

Yoga Thailand


Kelly and I spent all of last weekend at yoga retreat in Thailand. It was amazing! I have never felt so relaxed in my adult life! I have to admit, I was slightly nervous before we left...the web site said you needed to bring everything yourself, even towels and shamboo and herbal tea. Plus, I didn't know was sort of crazy, hard core yoga people would be there...also, I hadn't done Ashtanga yoga for a long time and it is quite rigorous!

I shouldn't have worried, cause it ended up being the most amazing trip...Kelly and I never ran out of things to talk about (amazingly)and we met lots of cool people. We were new to Ashtanga, at least compared to the other people there, so we basically had a private teacher. I definitely learned alot while I was there.

I think one of the reasons I felt so healthy and relaxed is because of the schedule we followed there. We were up by 7:30 for meditation (which involved sitting silently in a room for 15 minutes) then did yoga till 9:30. After that it was breakfast, which we ate communally, then Kelly and I would head to the beach. After the beach we headed back to the shala for a communal lunch, then back to the beach. We had a Thai massage every afternoon and a quick trip to the sauna, then a shower and dinner with everyone. After dinner we would watch movies about various aspects of yoga, then we would have another meditation time. We exhausted and asleep by 9 pm every night! It was a nice schedule also because we never had to make any decisions all day....that can be stressful, even on vacation!

No comments: