Friday, April 21, 2006

End of Semester Celebration Dinner


My Chinese class is over! I am actually really sad....I know, I know, I complained endlessly about how long the commute was and how boring it was to sit in class for hours every day. I am really happy that I don't have to commute every day anymore, but I am sad because my class was filled with really good people! They are all so nice, I think we really bonded. We definitely bonded much more than my class in Beijing did.

To celebrate, we went to a dumpling restaurant in Hung Hom. It was in an area called Whampoa Gardens, which is a really huge housing/shopping/entertainment area. I had never been there before. It is amazing, I feel like there is still more to explore in Hong Kong...too bad I am leaving now! The dinner was good, at a place called Din Tai Fung. They had dumplings of every type, but they were sort of a Cantonese-style take on dumplings. Most dumplings I have had have been Beijing style. The outer wrapping of the dumpling was thinner and more dry, and all the food was less oily than it would be if it were Northern style. I definitely want to bring Matt to the restaurant, it was good and cheap!

One nice thing about my class is that it was very international. (This was also a bad thing, because Korean and Japanese students learn characters at a much quicker rate than Westerners.) I learned so much about Korea and Japan and the lifestyles there...very interesting!


I am going to miss Kelly so much when I move...we spend every day together, and text message eachother all day if we are not together...It is sort of like in elementary school when you have a friend that you are "attached at the hip" with. I think that is pretty rare for an adult friendship, but I guess in Hong Kong we have a lot of time on our hands!