Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Singapore!

Grandma and I went to Singapore while she was visiting. I had never been there, so I was really excited! I booked us a package deal through Cathay Pacific Airlines, and I think it was a pretty good deal. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Atrium on Havelock Road. It was a nice enough hotel, and the breakfast buffet every morning was very yummy. There were lots of Indian families staying at the hotel, and Grandma and I were both amazed at the sheer amount of toast they ate! To us, the toast was not that exciting...It was plain white bread, the square kind that was sliced thinly. There was nothing to it, really, it was like eating wonder bread or something. They would stack their plates with huge piles of toast. I was like, whoa! That's alot of toast. The other people at the hotel were doing it too, but for some reason the hotel guests were mainly Indian, so that is why I noticed their toast eating habits in particular. I myself was addicted to the congee. I am not sure why, but it is such a satisfying breakfast! It is so yummy, but I think Grandma thought I was crazy.

Our first night in Singapore, we went down to Chinatown (yes, I know, we had just come from China...) and ate at the hawker stalls. I was so proud of Grandma, she tried everything and wasn't scared about eating at the street stalls! I think the food at the street stalls is so yummy and it is so lively...It is like having a big street party or a carnival or something, everyone has food and is talking and laughing. It is great for people watching. For dessert I had Cheng Tng, and Grandma was enthralled by a mango dessert extravaganza. It had all sorts of stuff in it: mango, ice cream, shaved ice, and sweetened condensed milk.


Our hotel Posted by Hello


Grandma eating her Mango-Shaved Ice-Ice Cream-Sweetened Condensed Milk Deluxe Dessert Posted by Hello


Carrying my dessert... Posted by Hello

No comments: