Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Grandma's Visit Comes to an End

While Grandma was here, we had to try Peking Duck. Matt and I took her to one of our favorite, low key (ie. "not trendy") Chinese restaurants called the Red Pepper in Causeway Bay. My friends kelly and maria met us there, and it was a good thing they did because we ended up getting a whole duck! It was probably the best peking duck I had ever had, there was a good ratio of skin and fat to meat on the pieces carved from the duck. Sometimes there is way to much fat and not enough meat. (At least for my taste, I think Chinese people prefer the fat.) I think Gradnma loved it. We also had sizzling chili prawns and some veggies. For dessert, we had toffee covered fruit pieces. These are amazing! The banana and apple slices are slightly warmed and soft because they are dipped in hot toffee. Then they are dipped into ice cold water, where the toffee becomes cold and crispy while the fruit stays warm and soft. The contrasting temperatures and textures is so delicious! I knew Grandma would love it not only because she has a raging sweet tooth, but also because she loves candied apples. It was a delicious meal and I was so glad Grandma got to meet some of my friends.

I must have tired Grandma out, because for the rest of her trip, we pretty much hung out at home reading and relaxing. It was very peaceful, which is a feeling that is hard to obtain in Hong Kong. I loved it. For Grandma's last meal in Hong Kong we took her to Felix and took a ride on the Star Ferry. I had been wanting to try Felix for a long time, and I have to say that where food was concerned, I was slightly disappointed. It was good, but not as good as the price would make you expect it to be. I guess you are paying for the view, which is amazing, and the design of the place, which was done by Phillipe Starcke.

I know that memories of Grandma's trip to Hong Kong will stay with me forever; I am so glad she was able to come to visit me. I learned a lot about her and she gave me lots of advice about men and relationships, as well as insights into her past relationships and life events. She inspired me in many ways. I can only hope that when I am a grandma, I will be as adventurous and open minded as she is. There aren't many people over 70 that would fly to visit their grand daughter in Hong Kong, try all sorts of foods they have never had before, zip around in taxis, get foot massages in a Chinese person's apartment, and even try yoga. It was amazing! Another amazing thing was Grandma's raging sweet tooth. I have NEVER seen anything like it. She can sense sweets telepathically and find them almost instantaneously if they are within a 100 foot radius of her! I am not joking! Interestingly, I think my sweet tooth is almost completely eradicated. living among Chinese people, the food is a lot less sweet and so are the desserts. I think Chinese people prefer savory food, and now I have become accustomed to it. Western desserts and candy taste overwhelmingly sweet now. Don't worry, I am sure my affinity for sweets will return once I move back to the US. I think it is impossible to avoid sweets in the States unless you are really militant against sugar.

I feel blessed that through all of the obstacles that I have faced this year, which has been the hardest year of my life, I have learned that I have an amazing family that loves and supports me. I guess sometimes it takes sad or negative events to realize all of the wonderful things in your life that you have to be grateful for.


Grandma with Peking Duck Posted by Hello


Kelly, Maria and Grandma Posted by Hello


Chinese Feast Posted by Hello

No comments: