Saturday, May 14, 2005

Orchard Road

For our last night in Singapore, Grandma and I headed down to Orchard Road. Orchard Road is a main drag with lots of shopping, movies, restaurant and also LOTS of people! The only thing that it doesn't have a lot of is taxis, as grandma and I found out. That is one of the great things about Hong Kong, there is never a shortage of taxis. The lines at the taxi stands in Singapore were ridiculously long, and Singaporeans didn't seem to notice which makes me think that they have to wait in lines that long all the time.

Orchard Road has a ton of western stores that we don't have in Hong Kong. I squealed with delight at Borders books. Such a huge store, filled with books in English! Woo hoo! I was happy, but once we got inside I was tired from all our sightseeing. Also, all the books looked like they had been handled by everyone in town. They were sort of dirtly looking and dog-eared and had pages folded over and stuff. It was sort of strange. I was going to buy myself some books but I decided not to. Also, the store was SO crowded. I had meant to buy myself clothes in Singapore but i never got around to it. I just didn't feel like shopping, even though I should have because they had a lot more mid-range clothing stores than Hong Kong. In Hong Kong clothes are either designer or they were hauled into Hong Kong from Mainland China in the back of some guy's truck and then sold on the street.

Orchard Road was great for people watching. It is funny, because it seems like every visitor has something different that they are intrigued by when they travel to Asia. For me, it is the many different kinds of food, without a doubt. For my last visitors, Missy and Nic it was shopping and for my friend Lara it was beaches. For Grandma, it was the many different kinds of people. She kept noticing the different body types of different races and the clothes that they wore. She was fascinated by the eating habits and the saris on the Indian women we would see at breakfast. So, I think it was a good thing we decided to visit Singapore while she was here because it is a city that has an incredible mix of different races, religions and ethnicities.


Orchard Road Posted by Hello

No comments: