Friday, April 22, 2005

Sunset Peak Hike

Today I went on a hike with the AWA. Kelly went also, and before we went she told me that she was afraid it was going to be too difficult for her. I said, "No, don't worry about it. We do yoga all the time! Plus, the AWA ladies are old. Even if they say the hike is going to be really hard, they are just old and so they think everything is hard." Ha! Well, in my defense, most of the women in the AWA are old! The women on the hike were not as old as most in the AWA but they were still older than us. But, they were possibly the most fit, outdoorsy women I have seen in Hong Kong. They all had dryfit gear, little Lululemon workout shorts, cool new backpacks with straps to hook things on to, and camel backs to sip water out of. And they were all tall! And fast! They had long legs and they used them!

The hike was absolutely gorgeous. The weather was muggy and hot but also sunny and clear and the view from the top was spectacular. Sunset Peak is on Lantau Island and we could see around the whole thing, and all of the little islands that surround Hong Kong Island. It was well worth the hike up there! It was quite strenuous. I think due to all of my Dad's backpacking trips, my past marathon training and my massive "Hardy thighs", I did just fine. I could handle the hike despite the fact that my legs were not as long as the other ladies and I didn't have cute little black shorts and hiking gear. Kelly had some problems...First of all she is 5'2 and has little short skinny legs that aren't used to hiking or running. She is from New York and before that New Jersey and she never did outdoorsy stuff growing up. She was really slow...It took her a lot longer than everyone else. The leader of the hike was nice but also very "schedule oriented" -- you can interpret that how you want to. When Kelly made finally made it down to where we had stopped for lunch, she sat down next to me and her legs were shaking on their own...they were tired legs! When she had a drink and got out our sandwiches (She made our sandwiches and brought the goodies and fruit), she took about two bites and the hike leader said it was time to go! I felt so bad! But, I understood because everyone else had been there for quite long time and had eaten lunch. I scarfed my sandwich down but she was still too tired to eat, her legs were shaking. But she got up anyway, and we hiked the rest of the way. The thing I found amazing about this hike was that Kelly kept such a good attitude the whole time...she smiled and chatted and acted like she was having a great time even though she was obviously struggling. She never complained even though she didn't get to eat lunch and she never got to rest for longer than two minutes. The group got down to the ferry pier in time for the ferry we were scheduled to take, but Kelly couldn't get back in time, so a few people waited and rode a later ferry with us. I was just amazed that she stayed happy and smiley like usual...It was very inspiring! She was such a good sport. Some of the ladies were not very patient. I was very impressed by Kelly today. I was also amazed that she struggled so much...we both do yoga a lot and I consider it to be a very good work out but maybe it isn't so good for cardiovascular endurance. I thought it was because in the yoga classes we take, I get very sweaty and my heart pounds like I had been running or something. Maybe I need to start doing more cardio!

Also, I was reminded of going on hikes with Dad when I was little. It seemed like we always had a straggler...whether it was me or Jessica or Quinnie. We all straggled at some point. Today's hike made me appreciate how patient Dad was. He was so patient and yet he wouldn't let anyone quit because he knew what a sense of accomplishment they would get at the end of the hike, or pass, or ski slope, or whatever. He wouldn't try to hurry anyone or act like they were too slow and were holding everyone up. He would carry things from the straggler's back pack and let them take as long as they wanted, even if that meant finishing in the dark. He didn't have that much patience in all things, but in most things, hiking in particular, he did. I missed him today!

When I was remembering hikes with Dad, it also made me appreciate Kelly's good attitude! I know I wasn't always such a good sport when I was the straggler.

As I am sitting here, post hike and shower, I have that glorious feeling that comes from being outside all day doing something active with good friends. You know that feeling? When you are tired but yet exhilerated at the same time? And you just feel happy? The first time I had this feeling and was conscious of it was at the Yeckel house, and I was in Mom's room in the garage. We had been at the beach all day, and I had been boogie boarding. We came home and I took a shower and then was vegging in front of the TV, waiting till we went down to get some dinner. I remember thinking, "I am so happy right now. I feel like my heart will burst out of my chest." It must have been great, cause I remember it to this day. I also get this feeling after a day of good skiing, rockclimbing, or a really good yoga class. Basically, anything outdoors and with people, in good weather. Oh, and after the long runs on Saturday mornings with the San Diego Track Club. The reason that I mention this is because I am afraid that if I do have MS and it gets worse, I will never be able to do these things again, and therefore never have that glorious feeling again! It is scary!! What if I won't be able to do all of these things that I love to do. I am not sure what I will do...maybe find new things to love to do?

No comments: