Monday, April 18, 2005

Electric Facial

Today after tennis, Kelly, Gail and I went to get facials. Since Kelly is the editor of the Aware Magazine for the AWA, the Plateau Spa approached her to write an editorial about the spa and also asked if her and two of her friends could be testers for a new facial technique. So, Gail and I were the lucky two to go with Kelly! The Plateau Spa is at the top of the Grand Hyatt, and it was amazing! I had been to the Grand Hyatt before for Dim Sum (which was excellent) and to the Champagne Bar (which was painfully boring), but I was not expecting the glorious oasis that was awaiting us at the top floor! Everything was calm and serene, with slate walls and tasteful flowers everywhere. The pool was beautiful and overlooked the harbour. The sauna had giant windows on the side that overlooked the harbour too! (Although I am sure those get steamed up when the sauna starts heating up...)

We were all in awe of our surroundings and were eager to be "models" for the facial training session. It started off good, just like a normal facial. You know, cleansing, exfoliation, massage, all the usual stuff...And then the electrocution began. Yes, that is right, electrical currents were applied to my face through two sponges. I can only imagine they look like those things they used to shock people into consciousness on ER. It felt like tiny needles were going into my face! I thought that was bad, but then it got worse! They turned up the electricity so that my muscles in my face started twitching when the sponges went over them. My eyebrow was particularly twitchy...whenever the sponges got close to my mouth, I would get a very strong metallic taste which they said was due to plaque. Hmmm...I think it has to do with being electrocuted! A French lady was lecturing during the facials on how to give the "facial". When it was done-- 2 1/2 hours later -- she came around with mirrors and gushed over how much better we looked after the treatment. Well, frankly, I have rarely looked worse in my life! My face felt like it had just run a marathon, and it looked even worse. The spa director told me that I had sun damage, which is probably true, and that I need to start wearing eye cream at night and drinking 4 liters of water a day. That's a lot! If anyone speaks French and wants to see the website for the company that does this type of facial, click here.

After the facial, I was completely drained. I went with Kelly and Gail to have lunch by the pool but I felt like a dead person...I have been feeling like that a lot lately. Like, an overwhelming tiredness throughout my body, and I usually end up running home and crashing on the couch. It is a bummer...

No comments: