Thursday, April 28, 2005

Five Years!

This morning Matt woke me up with the most beautiful bouquet of pale green and white flowers. At first I thought, "Hmmm...What is this blurry green mass in my face?" Then I thought, "Oh, I see, they are flowers." I thought maybe Matt was just being nice because we had just had the birthday celebration for him, but then he said, "Happy Anniversary!" I couldn't have been more surprised! I had completely forgotten that it was our anniversary. It wasn't even a faint thought in the back of my mind at any point this entire week, no wait, month, no wait, year...I was so caught up in his birthday and with all of the other stuff going on with me right now that when he gave me the flowers it was a total surprise! It was a good surprise, and I am glad that my appointment with Dr. Kay happened to be today, because I was in such a good mood after getting the flowers that nothing could bring me down. Matt was going to take me to breakfast but I said I would just rather eat at home cause it was early and I didn't feel like eating a big breakfast and then have him rush off to work.

The best part of the anniversary surprise is that Matt and I are going to Spoon by Alain Ducasse tonight! Woo Hoo! I have been wanting to go there since forever but it is expensive so we needed a special occasion. Spoon is at the Intercontinental Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui, which has the mot gorgeous views of the skyline and the harbor. I have been to the hotel for high tea before and it was phenomenal. Also, Alain Ducasse is supposed to be one of the best chefs in the world. I am excited to try one of his restaurants! At the moment I am thinking that I want to get the duck foie gras...or the Boston lobster. For dessert I am thinking that I want the sugar and salt pralines. Of course, I will probably change my mind once I get there! I wish my camera was out of the repair shop so that I could surreptitiously sneak pictures of the food, cause I know it will be served gorgeously.

Since we aren't eating dinner till 9, we are going to take the Star Ferry across the Harbor and get drinks at Felix to watch the light show. Every night at 8, there is a light show over the Harbor that involves all of the skyscrapers shooting different colored lasers and various other light-related novelties. Felix is a good place to see it from because it is at the top of the Peninsula Hotel and it was designed by Philippe Starck so it is very "cool". Even the bathrooms have amazing views of the harbor. Apparently in the men's room the urinals are "strategically located" so that you feel like you are "going over the edge". The women's room isn't that cool, but still has a great view.

Ok, I am sitting here with my hair in Grandma Janet's velcro curlers and I am getting butterflies in my stomach. I am very excited!

No comments: