Saturday, June 07, 2008



Yesterday I had my second trip to the field, this time to visit the fisherman communities. In this area of India, the "fisherfolk" are the most well-off communities because they make alot of money (comparatively) by catching fish and crab. They were very welcoming and it was nice to be by the ocean. We had to cross a river to get to the sea...on the way back we caught a ride with 2 old guys in their "Kattamaram" (yes, the spelling is correct...this is what they callit in Tamil)...it was very genrous of them ot offer us a ride but I was scared!! Their boat was basically 4 planks tied together. With their weight and my weight and Priya's weight, water was filling the center of the boat! We made it across, and it was probably the highlight of my day.



This is a picture of the boat with the old guys. I would have liked to have taken a picture of them up close while they were repairing their nets, but I wasn't sure if it would be rude to do that. Last summer I had many more photo-taking opportunities because we would basically sit in the villages forupwards of 8 hours...so the villagers would get used to my presence and I could take photos.

No comments: