Sunday, June 15, 2008

Weekend in Pondicherry



I decided to give myself a mini vacation and stop in Pondicherry on the way from Chennai to Nagapattinam. It is nice here: I can walk through the streets (no highway right outside my hotel!), the coast is scenic, and there is lots of French food.

The first night, I arrived after dark, which was unfortunate considering that I was by myself and had never been to Pondicherry. I found a room with a balcony overlooking the boardwalk. It was nice, but they only had one night available. I was happy to move, though, cause in the balcony next to mine were a group of 5 Indian teenage boys. They were smoking and drinking and if I was on my balcony they wanted to make conversation...and I really wasn't interested in chatting with them...so the next day I checked a few hotels and ended up moving into an ashram. It is part of the Sri Aurobindo Ashram, and it is really nice. My new room also overlooks the ocean and is half the price. You have to follow the rules, though, which is easy for me because I follow them anyway. You can't drink or smoke and have to be back in the ashram grounds by 10:30. Easy!

I was wondering if anyone would talk to me about their spiritual ideas, and this morning they did...this very nice Indian man started to talking to me and explaingig their beliefs. It was interesting, and I think these people are very nice.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

my husband and i were almost going to head to pondicherry, but we changed plans at the last minute.
it looks really pretty there though..and the ashram was where we were going to stay as well! hmmm...next time for sure! although i am with you all the way on indian food over french anyday!
have fun!
xo tracy