Sunday, July 17, 2005

Why I liked Minneapolis, Aside from Andrew's Cooking

Minneapolis was definitely not what I expected. I am not sure what I was expecting, but whatever it was, it wasn't waht I thought. I really loved the laid back vibe of Minneapolis. It sort of reminded me of a really big Davis, or like Davis mixed with San Francisco, except that everyone there is NICE. I am not sure if I could handle the weather in the winter though...the weather was wonderful while I was there, warm and relatively dry, but I know it doesn't always stay like that! Andrew and Lisa kept insisting to me that the winter is actually fun there because you play games and bake treats and drink warm beverages like cocoa. I am just not sure if I could handle all of the hours of darkness. I got some tips from them about how to dress for the cold weather in Beijing this winter!

One cool thing about Minneapolis is that it was so green. I went on walks on a trail by the Mississippi River. It was very pretty and well maintained and there seemed to be a ton of joggers, walkers and bikers. There seemed to be a ton of parks and public areas, and lots of lakes. We went swimming one day at a beach called Hidden Beach. (I don't remember what lake it was on. Lake Calhoun?)

I don't think I have mentioned Lisa and Iris yet. They are a huge part of Andrew and Lisa's life and household. I think Iris is 4 years old, but I am not sure...anyway, she is extremely friendly, outgoing and smiley. She was a good little buddy to eat breakfast with, because she would sit right next to me at the table. (Andrew and Lisa are much for eating at the table.) I sort of feel like I can identify with her, as an only child raised by a single mom, with lots of other adults around providing love and support. Of course Mom was always with me, taking care of me, but I had lots of interactions with other close family members and friends and I think Iris has a similar situation. (Different in many ways to my situation, but also similar in a lot of ways.)

While I was in Minneapolis, Lisa took me to her Tai Chi studio. I learned a lot about myself and I greatly appreciate her sharing that part of her life with me. I definitely want to learn more about it when my life settles down a little bit. Hopefully when I am in Beijing I will have an opportunity. I also tried to go to a yoga class while I was staying with them. It was not good! If you are going to take a yoga class, it is so important that you have a teacher that you respect and that you can work with. Otherwise it is very frustrating!

I got to see more of the many lakes near Andrew and Lisa's house when Andrew took some time off work to go canoeing with me. It was gorgeous!


Lisa and Iris Posted by Picasa


Making Funny Faces Posted by Picasa


Iris and her Mom, Lisa Posted by Picasa


Canoeing Posted by Picasa

No comments: