Sunday, January 16, 2005

The Rest of My Holiday

I flew from Utah to San Diego on Christmas Eve to spend Christmas with my mom and her family. There were lots of presents and candy! I got alot of presents but I think the best of which was a travel clock. It is really cool, I had never seen one before: it is small (maybe 3x4") and says the local time in large numbers, then the world time in small numbers. You can rotate a dial around the edge of the clock that has major world cities listed on it, like "Hong Kong", "New York", "London" etc, and it will display the time in that city. It is so convenient! It is small so you can travel with it and it has an alarm clock too. I have it by my desk right now so I know that it is 10 am in Hong Kong but 6 pm in California.

Matt and I met up in San Francisco for New Year's Eve, and it was pretty crazy. It was cold! I wasn't prepared for it and only had sandals with me. It was great to see Matt's brother Sam and my old friend Sarah Chipps, and to get to know Sarah's boyfriend Willie.

The rest of my time in San Diego was spent taking my sisters on "dates". Marissa and I went ice skating, Malini and I went to Nickel City and Greek food a few time, I took Maya shopping and to a movie and dinner, and I took the older girls to get their nails done. (Their first pedicures! How exciting! I remember when Jessica, my Dad's girlfriend, took me to get my first pedicure and manicure. I was enraptured with it and felt very sophisticated. I can't wait till my sisters are older and I can take them on spa trips and stuff. I need more spa buddies.)

After San Diego I spent a few days in San Francisco with Sarah and then headed back to Hong Kong. To be honest...I had mixed feelings about returning to Hong Kong. I miss my friends, and the minute I left my sisters I thought my heart was going to break. I think it is going to be so hard to be a mom. I feel like I am "close aunt" or a "secondary mom" to my sisters. I love them so much and I want to do everything around them, but at the same time it frazzles you so much to do that. And when they are upset or hurt, it hurts you. The horrible thing is, I know that when I have my own kids, the feeling will be that much stronger, because they will be my own kids! My sisters are just my sisters. I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it...in like 10 years.

Also, I learned how to knit while I was in the US! I think a knitting craze is sweeping America. First, my Aunt Maria was a knitting maniac while in Utah. I don't think I ever saw her without her needles. She gave me a gorgeous purple scarf, and a white scarf that she made was the hot White Elephant present of the year. Then, her and Aunt Linda were knitting away together at our Christmas Eve party. Imagine my surprise when all of my Sarah's friends in San Francisco were knitting maniacs too! One night we went out to sushi, had some sake bombs, and we all came back to her house, turned on the music, and magically out of everyone's purse or bag came knitting needles and balls of yarn! They were clacking away and listening to Wu Tang. Keep in mind these are urban, cool, young San Franciscans living on Haight Street. I learned how to knit and was told to spread the word, because they want to create a "knitting nation." I am very proud, cause I have kept up my knitting project and my scarf gets longer every day. I am knitting a sage green scarf with very wide wool, and it has a ribbed pattern of alternating 3 knit stitches/3 purl stitches.

No comments: