Tuesday, January 18, 2005

I'm a FlyBaby now!

On Sunday I became a FlyBaby. While I was updating my blog and checking out what happened on other people's blogs while I was in the US, I came across the website for FlyLady. For some reason it really hit home for me...I need help maintaining my home! When I came back from the US, Matt had been here for a little over a week, and our place looked really good. (Also, I think the maids have been doing a more thorough job since I left them each a Christmas present.) Since I arrived though, our place turned into a total sty with clutter on every flat surface. Matt and I spent a good portion of our precious weekend (the only time Matt is not working) cleaning our house and making it feel more peaceful an pleasant. Now, if I can't keep my home clean and clutter free when I am not working, have maids come in three times a week, have no children, don't cook meals at home, and have a boyfriend that is gone 12 hours of the day, then there is Absolutely No Hope of being able to do it when I am working and/or have kids.

I have decided that it is vital for happiness to have a home that is pleasant and comfortable and that is not constantly messy or dirty. My mind is so much more peaceful when my surroundings are clean, especially in Matt's and my TINY apartment. In our apartment even a a few things out of place make it seem oppressively small. After my Dad dies, I remember sitting in my house in San Diego, huddled on the floor amidst a big mess, feeling completely overwhelmed and wanted to give up on everything. This feeling really had nothing to do with my messy house, it had everything to do with my Dad and everything I had to do to settle his estate. Grandma Janet came over and and in like 15 minutes, she decluttered and cleaned my living room and opened the window to let in light and fresh air. I felt infinitely better after she did that, despite the fact that all the same problems in my life were still there. Both my Grandma's are already FlyLadies. I am not sure if they always were FlyLadies, or if they learned from experience, or if that generation got more input on how to maintain a functioning house.

I just realized I haven't said what the FlyLady's philosophy actually is...well, I guess you will just have to check out the website. The first line on the web site says, "Are you living in CHAOS like Franny in the pink sweats?" I yelled, "Yes!! Yes, I am! How did you know about my pink sweats?" For my first day as a FlyBaby I had to completely scrub and clean the sink with bleach and ajax and then windex. Everyday before you go to sleep, the sink is supposed to be sparkling and all the dishes done and put away. When you wake up in the morning, the first thing you do is put on clothes and shoes and get yourself ready as if you were going out. Every week there is a zone that you are supposed to work on cleaning and organizing if necessary. Anyway, read the website if you are interested.

I just realized that this seems completely neurotic! I am turning crazy over here! I think I like it because I have not had any structure in my life since Dad died and I quit working. Also, I have moved 4 times in 1 year (one of the moves was across the world) and I also moved all my Dad's stuff. With all those moves, I feel like everything is mixed up and out of place and just generally not settled. I have done a pretty good job of staying active and taking care of what needs to be done, but I am intrigued by this FlyLady stuff and I am going to give it a try. Matt thinks I am ridiculous! I don't care though, I will take whatever method necessary to take back control of my life. I will let you guys know how it goes. I hope you don't think I am crazy now!

Also, I am now on the Public Relations committee of the American Women's Association Charity Ball. I am not sure exactly what that entails, but it means I will definitely get to go to the ball in June, so I guess it will be a good thing to do.

- FlyLady

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Meagan! Told you I'd check back... You should read the book "Organizing from the Inside Out" by Julie Morgenstern...a fantastic book on what is going on "inside" that causes us to live in clutter... patti y