Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Sasha

Matt and I just returned from our trip to Guangzhou (Gwan-Joe), which is a 2 hour train ride from Hong Kong. The reason for our trip was to see one of Matt's favorite djs, Sasha, on his first tour through Asia. Apparently China is a new up and coming area for electronic music.

Usually, these kinds of shows last all night, so Matt and I didn't get there until after midnight. Sasha went on soon after we got there and he was great. There were a few problems though: first, the hotel staff turned down the volume, and then they pulled the plug at 2 in the morning! That is extremely early for this kind of show. If we would have known t was going to end that early, we would have showed up earlier!

Luckily, on our way in we had met a security guy. When the show ended, he called us back to the VIP area where Sasha was. So, we got to meet Sasha and all of the "cool" kids! It was pretty awesome. Sasha was nice and very laid back and seemed sincere. He was patient when everyone was taking pictures with him and he seemed bummed that his first tour in China got off to a bad start. Unfortunately, Matt and I didn't bring a camera, but to be honest, I would have been sort of embarrassed to ask for a picture with him. It seems cheesy. That is not say that I wouldn't want a picture with him! In the back room area we met some Guangzhou expats, and it turns out that one of them went to school with my stepdad's cousin's daughter! Pretty small world. This guy, Suraj, was really cool and he took some pictures of Matt and I and so I will have to try to get copies of those, and the ones of Sasha.

The Sasha tour photographer took several pictures and videos of Matt and I because he said that we were "beautiful" (haha...must have been slim pickings of people to photograph that night?) so I am going to keep checking the Sasha website to see if they make it on there. If they do I will link to the site from this blog.

No comments: