Sunday, September 26, 2004

The Other Side of the Island

Today Matt and I ventured over to "the other side of the island." It is like a whole new world over there, I felt like Gilligan discovering something that was right under my nose the whole time! We browsed at the Stanley market and sat by the beach watching the sailboats and the windsurfers. It was very relaxing and it felt somehow familiar to be near the coast again. The feeling was definitely more laid back than in Central, and it was absolutely teeming with expats. I sort of felt like I was at a Jimmy Buffett concert. (You know, lots of drunk, sunburned, rich white people dressed in resort gear. It was still fun though.) The restaurants that lined the boardwalk blared music and had seafood and beer, and it was generally an excellent way to spend a Sunday. The thing I was most excited about was the place we found that rents kayaks, sailboats and wind surfing equipment! Hopefully Matt and I will be able to come back and rent a boat next week, since Matt gets three days off work for the Mid Autumn Festival and for National Day.


Stanley Posted by Hello


St. Stephen's Beach Posted by Hello

1 comment:

XOXO me said...

Those pics look a lot like some of the resorts here on Okinawa. It's so pretty.