Wednesday, September 15, 2004

The Inevitable Comparisons Begin

I have to admit, yesterday and today I have been thinking nostalgically about San Diego. I guess it is inevitable that when you move somewhere new, you make comparisons to the place that you just left. I am trying REALLY hard not to do that, because after all, it is not like I was that pleased with San Diego when I left either. Yesterday I was listening to Slightly Stoopid, which I have been informed by one of my dear friends is really lame and that I should be embarrassed to listen to it, but still I like it and I listen to it. Slighly Stoopid is one of those white-boy reggae-type groups that are so prevalent in San Diego, the kind you would hear at Winstons or somewhere down in Ocean Beach. It really brought back to me that sort of laid back atmosphere that San Diego has. Later on I was watching BBC World, and after listening to all of the stories about the genocide in Darfur, the shootings of British tourists in Thailand, and the bombing in Jakarta, they showed footage of a little dog surfing in San Diego. It was pretty funny.

So far, I feel like there is a hoity-toity, materialistic atmosphere to Hong Kong. I am not sure if it is because of the neighborhood we live in or the people I have met, or if it is just a general feeling. Or, it could be that I have never lived in such an urban place before and that is how things are in urban places. I am not sure. On the one hand, I love having all the things that come with this sort of attitude, like the good restaurants, cute stores, nice parks, and the well-maintained city. On the other hand, it just seems kind of gross to me to see everything with designer names and to see the other expats walk around Central in their business suits like they are the Gods and Goddesses of Asia. In San Diego, I remember feeling like everyone was too damn rich and showy there, so maybe this is just a personal problem that I have. It makes me appreciate my Dad though, cause he managed to "keep it real" when he was working with all the LA corporate types.

I am sure I will get used to everything, and I hope I will look back on this entry and laugh at myself for being silly. I am really excited for my friends to come visit me next month, so they can tell me if I am just imagining things or not.



My Old Neighborhood Posted by Hello

4 comments:

XOXO me said...

I know what you mean about trying not to compare your old home to your new home. When I first got to Okinawa I did it all the time b/c I was homesick. But I just kept reminding myself that they are TWO totally different places and cultures and each have their good things about them. But I tell you what there's nothing like home! How long are you staying in Hong Kong?

Anonymous said...

When I think of San Diego, I think of dog's on surfboards. Great place to live, but nothing like the excitement and possibilities I find in Hong Kong. Its kind of fun I think to be thrown in with 8 million people and to experience this, but someday it will be nice to go back to dogs on surfboards.

The Massey Family said...

Our current plan is to stay here for 4 years.

Anonymous said...

I hate people that are blinded by their own self indulgence. Consumerism is way to distract yourself from your problems. It is like wearing a blinfold and stumbling along the timeline of your life. People don’t really want their lives fixed. Nobody wants their problems solved. Their dramas. Their distractions. Their stories resolved. Their messes cleaned up. Because what would they have left? Just the big scary unknown.