Sunday, September 19, 2004

Food, Glorious Food

One of the best things abut Hong Kong is the food. There is so much variety here, and it is all so yummy. There are SO many good restaurants and our tiny kitchen makes it hard for us to cook at home. We went to TGI Fridays with some other expats last night, and even there the food was really good. Currently I am addicted to the mango with sticky rice at Thai restaurants and the taro-filled steamed buns that they have at dim sum. Matt's coworker told him that weight gain is a big problem for expats when they first come to Hong Kong, and I can see why. Not only is there so much good food, but it also seems like everyone eats alot here. Chinese people can really pack it in, and yet they stay thin.

Today I had two great food finds. First, I found a place down in Central that makes fresh soy milk. It is a little stall that has huge vats of soy beans, and you can watch them put the soy beans in a machine to make milk. I only bought one bottle of soy milk because since it is fresh, with no preservatives or anything, it will go bad quickly and since Matt hates soy milk, I will be the only one using it. The woman thought it was strange that I only wanted one bottle, so she gave Matt and I straws and ordered us to try it. I guess she thought that since it is so good, we surely would want another bottle. Matt's face looked really horrified when he tried it, it was pretty funny. It is a lot less sweet than the store brands because nothing is added to it, no sugar or anything else.

Then, I found this really great Italian food store in the building across from our apartment. I was so excited -- it has fresh pasta made daily, good italian bread, homemade panna cotta, and all sorts of yummy italian deli meats and cheeses. I was so excited. I bought their fresh prociutto-filled tortellini for dinner tonight, along with some olives, spicy ham and a seafood rissoto type thing.

1 comment:

XOXO me said...

Man...all of those food names alone got my mouth watering. Sounds fabulous!