Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Washinton DC, Part 2: The American Indian Museum



Matt and I only had a few days in DC, and our priority was to RELAX and hang out together...so lots of good food and rest, and not so much site seeing...But we did make it to one museum on National Mall: The American Indian Museum. (I feel so un-PC writing that name!) I had to beg Matt to go there. I don't know why I wanted to go so badly...oh wait, yes I do...I had heard there was a whole food court of traditional foods! Ha ha! But, joking aside, it was a great museum. I have this recent fascination with indigenous populations, and it might be because of all of our Mayan ruin touring that we did on our honeymoon in Belize. Anyway, they had a whole movie/exhibit about the hoopa indians that live up by Matt's hometown. He used to work at a burger/ice cream shop on the reservation. The movie of the hoopas had an interesting part where they talked about how Christians try to drown out their traditional music by blaring hymns on loudspeakers. This sounds strange to me. It seems like Christians in Humboldt would have lots of targets to blare hymns at other than Native Americans, haha!


A close up of my squid ink calamari. It was delicious! The woman in line to pay next to me was revolted by this, by I say, if you aren't going to try things, get out of the food court and besides that, it is rude to say that another person's food is revolting.


A selection of foods...conrbread, yams, and squid ink calamari. Yum!



Ok, we actually went to 2 museums. There was also a really interesting section in the Natural History Museum about the history and culture of rastafarians. I have been getting into reggae lately, so this was interesting for me. We also saw the hope diamond here, which made me contemplate our obsession with diamonds. Why do we care? I don't. I admit I like sparkly things,though. But they don't have to be diamonds. People place to much importance on those things.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Hmm, it doesn't look too appetizing...Did they say the Book of Mormon was a history of the Indians??? It is.

Glad you got to go home for a short trip. Only another year and a half to go, yea...