Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Touch

Keerti, Srikanth Nori, Matt and Meagan

While we were in Hyderabad, we went out almost every night to clubs with Nori and his friends. I was completely shocked...I knew there were clubs in Mumbai, but I didn't expect that there would be so many in Hyderabad...I also didn't expect that we would be spending most of our time in India at clubs, up all night! I think we probably staid on US time, because we would eat and 11pm and then stay out till 5 in the morning, then sleep most of the day.
Inside, the clubs looked like clubs you would find anywhere else in the world. And they cost as much, too! Some places had 20$ covers! For India, where people are dying on the streets and most people live on less than 1 or 2 $ a day, that is an ungodly amount of money. And inside the clubs, people are not conservative at all...some girls dress skimpily and people dance very seductively. It was completely shocking to me. WHen I have traveled in India before, I was only exposed to the very poor and the very traditional in Rajasthan. So, this trip to Hyderabad was very unexpected. I asked one guy how he felt about all the poverty and malnutrition in his country, and he said, "There is nothing really you can do." I think the rich in India are so used to the contrasts in wealth that they don't even notice it anymore. (Or maybe they just don't want to notice it.) Anyway, the disparity was mind bending. But then, everything in India is mindbending...I guess that is why I love it.


Srikanth Nori's fiance Keerti (in the middle) and her friends.
Keeri's aunt owned a club called Touch. It was a great club, actually, with good music and a fun crowd. It was sort of cool, cause pictures from Touch were in the local newspaper alot. (Sort of like the "In Touch" magazine for Hyderabad.)

After going to Touch the first night we were there, all the guys came back to out hotel with some of the famous "Hyderabadi Byrani" and naan. We needed plates and silverware, so they proceeded to go into the kitchen of the restaurant and help themselves. Matt and I were like, "Uh, do you think you should do that?" They were like,"Oh ya, it is no problem, we know the owner's son." Matt and I sort of shrugged and figure this is what India must be like. They left a huge mess but said it would be fine. The next morning, the owner of the hotel says he wants to kick us out! Nori's friend ended up working it out for us so that we could stay. It was sort of an interesting event though...these guys are so used to having whatever they want, it doesn't occur to them that they can't go into someone's restaurant and start helping themselves to plates and silverware and cups! But, I guess that could do that in the end, cause we didn't get kicked out or charged or anything.



No comments: