Thursday, November 03, 2005

Hong Kong!

I went back to Hong Kong last weekend, and took three days off of school to make it a five day weekend. It was glorious! It was so wonderful to be back with Matt again in our little apartment. I really felt like I was home again...and I realized how fabulously wonderful my life is in Hong Kong. I have a ton of friends, a boyfriend that loves me and an extrememly easy lifestyle. There are always fun things to do and placest to go and good food EVERYWHERE. I think I could live there forever. In Beijing I keep thinking about how life will be when Matt and I move back to the US, but when I was in Hong Kong I thought, "I don't want to leave!"

The first night I was back Matt took me out to a really good french restuarant, La Terrasse. I loved it, it felt so civilized after being in China for two months. Table cloth...silverware...clean plates...wine...it was amazing! The owner was from Brittany and I told him how much I loved the moules and frites we had when we were there. I think French people wonder why I love them so much...For me, they were simple, delicious and perfect.

The next days I spent having coffee with Kelly in the morning and then yoga and I stocked up on some staples to bring back with me to Beijing. I bought long sleeved shirts, some warm sweaters, little Japanese candies that I love, and microwave popcorn. Also, some couscous and dried lentils. Oh, and a ton of American magazines from the Navy Fleet Center. They sell magazines at US prices, which seem outrageously cheap compared to what they cost in Hong Kong and Beijing. In the US I don't read magazines that much, but here in Beijing they are very soothing and remind me of home and that there is a world outside of China. I read Oprah magazine every morning with my breakfast, and I have been rationing Yoga Journal in small chunks so that it lasts me for a while. I don't want to read through it too quick!

Friday night, my friends had an 80s party. It was pretty fun and it was great to see my old friends again. I didn't realize how much I love them all. Maybe the best part about the party was shopping for 80s stuff in the Mong Kok street market with Matt. He made a pretty good Bruce Springsteen I think!

During the days on the weekend, Matt and I stayed at home and watched Lost on DVD. It was great, very relaxing and I go thte rare treat of Matt's homemade popcorn. I think he is the best popcorn maker in the world. Oh wait, actually, I think my Mom and him have a tie. They both make good popcorn. I think it is the butter and the salt...

Going back for the weekend made me realize how much I love Hong Kong. I guess sometimes it takes leaving for a while to realize how you feel about things. Also, I miss Matt a lot. I hope we don't have to live apart again for a long time.


Born in the USA Posted by Picasa


Kelly with her pink hair Posted by Picasa


Not sure if these are 80s or just strange... Posted by Picasa

No comments: