Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Exams, Thanksgiving Plans, and Memories of Grandpa

On both Thursday and Friday I felt nauseous, but Saturday my illness hit me full force, and I spent the whole weekend throwing up! It was horrible, especially since we have midterms this week and I had been planning on preparing for them. I had to miss teaching my little 11 year old girls, I was very sad! I still didn't feel good on Monday, but by Tuesday night I felt great...and was ravenous for meat. Big mistake! I bought two pork baozi (steamed buns filled with minced pork and cabbage) and a package of ham. This morning during my exam I was regretting my food choices of the night before...I had to run out of my exam because I thought I was going to be sick! I wasn't, and I managed to finish both of my tests. Luckily, the tests were pretty easy, much easier than I expected. So, it looks like I will continue on my bread-and-cracker-only diet. Literally, I have been eating nothing but bread and crackers. It is all my stomach can handle. The strange thing is, I still get hungry but the thought of any food with flavor makes me feel sick. I went and bought some chicken soup today so hopefully that will be more nutritious than just bread. Tonight I head down to Hong Kong to spend Thanksgiving there. I am happy, but I am also very tired...I am looking forward to my own house and bed and warm weather. Maybe foods that are more familiar to me will be easier on my system right now.

We are having a big Thanksgiving dinner at my friend Kelly's house. They bought a 16 pound turkey and there will be just 5 of us there! It should be fun though, I can't wait to see them. This will make it exactly one year since I met Kelly! It seems like I have known her so much longer than that.

Thanksgiving made me think of Grandpa Hardy...and I remembered a very random thing about him. Does anyone else remember when he suddenly discovered the hazards of backwash? I remember sitting in his car outside the Rancho Bernardo office, and Grandma was there, and he explained how he had switched to bottles of water with sport tops on them because it limited backwash. Apparently he had heard on one of his audio tapes that he listened to in the car that backwash is really bad for you if you drink it. Pretty random memory! I am not sure why that came back to me...Does anyone else remember that? Grandma, do you?

2 comments:

Janet said...

Hmm, not one of my memories, very random. But I do remember how much Richard liked to have company for Thanksgiving. Our first Thanksgiving after baby Johnny was born we dressed him up with a pilgrim hat and took his picture--he couldn't even sit yet...is that in our family movies!! And then there was that Thanksgiving nine years ago... Glad I am at the beach in Galveston--reminds me of Pacific Beach.

takealetter said...

Is it your own back wash that is bad for you, or other peoples? That is a random thought, I don't remember ever hearing that...funny he would worry about backwash when he lived on Miracle Whip! I was flipping channels the other day and happened upon All In The Family, I had to watch it because I remember my Dad just laughing out loud (which he rarely did) when he would watch Archie Bunker. It made me laugh out loud.