Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Year's Eve

For New Year's Eve, Matt and I just cruised around Saigon. We had no special plans. I got home late from the spa and he had a long day, so we just walked around. There was a giant street fair, and we bought some sparklers to celebrate. Then we sat down and people watched. I saw a woman picking up cans to recycle. She had a limp and her arms had tremors. I was inspired by the fact that she could have been begging but instead she was recycling. Then I was thinking, maybe she was injured in the war. I had just read a book about Kim Phuc, a girl who had been burned by a napalm bomb. The book made me very sad, so maybe that is why I felt like I should give the woman money. I rarely give money when I travel, but I felt like I should give this woman money. Then I worried that maybe I was wrong, and that I would insult her by giving her money. I decided to trust my first instinct and give her something.

At around 11 pm, people started going home. I am not sure why...we ended up going to get ice cream. Not very exciting, but we had fun anyway!



Meagan with a Vietnamese Hat



Meagan with sparkler



First Kiss of 2006