Sunday, January 15, 2006

Boat Trip to Koh Phi Phi



Beautiful Scenery in Thailand

The day after the wedding, Steve and Grace treated everyone to a boat trip to Koh Phi Phi. The scenery was stunning, as it always seems to be in Thailand. I loved it. The water was warm and clear, and the snorkeling was good. You really can't go wrong with a day on a boat.



Meagan and Julie on the Boat

After a long day on the water, we went back to our hotel and showered, and then went to dinner in Phuket Town at a very strange restaurant. The owner was this strange looking woman that kept making the guys get up and dance with her, even though it was early and the music wasn't really suitable. Then, she got up and started dancing on our table while our dessert was being served. No one else was going crazy like she was. Then, a transvestite came out and started singing. It seems like you can't go to Thailand without somehow unexpectedly being forced to sit through a show where a transvestite lip syncs very badly to horrible music.

After dinner, we went to the worst place on the Earth: Bangla Street inPatong. This place is where all of the dregs of humanity go. I can't tell you how disgusted I was. And I have seen many disgusting things in my years. I am not naive, I swear...No one living in Asia can be oblivious to prostitution. But this was the worst place I have ever seen. The desperation of the women, mixed with the disgustingness of the men was apalling. The men looked like they had been out at sea for 20 years and they hadn't seen a woman or a shower for twice that amount of time. The women looked like they were desperate, but had been doing this for so long that they had forgotten what they were doing. Then we realized that most of the women were actually men. When we got back to our hotel after far too many hours spent in Patong, Matt and I had a huge discussion about the grossness of it all. He didn't think it was one bit sad. I thought, "How could I possibly be with someone that did not feel at least slightly sick about what we just saw?" (I have not gone into the gory details of the night...) He thought the women chose their life to be like that. As a woman, I just don't think so.



The beginning of a long night in Patong